The madrasah was the first of three madrasah, constructed by order of Ulugbek (died in 1449), one of Temur's grandsons. Other two were built in Samarkand and Gijduvan. The construction was finished in 1420. The building consists of two floors of hudjras (students' rooms), classrooms and a mosque. The facade is decorated with a portal, two-storey loggias and corner turrets. Originally the madrasah had four domes and four minarets in the corners. In 1585 the facades were restored and decorated with majolica.
Ulugbek Madrasah Bukhara
The madrasah is remarkable for an inscription on the entrance: 'Aspiration to knowledge is a duty of each Muslim man and woman'.